Mahoba, Uttar Pradesh — In a rare political confrontation within India’s ruling party in Uttar Pradesh, BJP MLA Brijbhushan Rajput on 30 January 2026 blocked the convoy of Uttar Pradesh Cabinet Minister Swatantra Dev Singh, igniting tensions over poor roads and unmet water supply promises in Mahoba district. The high-profile standoff drew attention from administrative and political corridors and sparked debate about governance in the region.
The incident occurred along a busy stretch near Ramshri Mahavidyalaya while the minister was returning from a government programme. Mr Singh, who is in charge of the state’s Water Resources Department (Jal Shakti) and key rural development schemes such as the Jal Jeevan Mission, found his path intentionally blocked by Mr Rajput and around 100 village heads (gram pradhans) who were gathered to lodge their protest.
Convoy Blocked
On Friday afternoon, Mr Singh’s convoy came to a standstill when vehicles and supporters loyal to the Charkhari MLA inhibited its progress. Eyewitnesses reported that the protest was planned and coordinated in advance, with supporters already positioned on the road to obstruct the minister’s movement.
According to police and local accounts, the situation escalated with a heated verbal exchange between the minister and Mr Rajput before law enforcement intervened to restore order. Security personnel including local police officers attempted to control the crowd, leading to moments of scuffles and chaos as supporters shouted slogans and tried to assert their presence.
After a tense confrontation, Mr Singh stepped out of his vehicle to engage directly with Mr Rajput. Both men were reportedly involved in a sharp exchange of words before officials helped clear the road and allow the convoy to proceed toward the district magistrate’s office.
Main Issues Raised
The protest by Mr Rajput centred on two primary grievances: the condition of rural roads and the delivery of drinking water, particularly in his Charkhari constituency.
Mr Rajput and the village heads claimed that roads across several villages had been dug up for pipeline installation under the Jal Jeevan Mission but had not been restored properly, leaving motorists and residents to face daily hardships.
The MLA also alleged that despite the Government’s claims of success under the Har Ghar Nal scheme, a flagship initiative to bring piped water to every household many villages still lacked reliable drinking water. Residents, he said, continued to face extended periods without water supply.
Statements from Leaders
Swatantra Dev Singh
After the confrontation, the minister described the incident as “a demonstration of local issues” but urged that such matters should be addressed through official channels rather than public roadblocks. He stated he was willing to visit affected villages personally and address the grievances raised by the MLA and the village heads.
According to news reports, Mr Singh was quoted offering to inspect up to 40 villages where complaints had been lodged, and said officials found negligent in their duties would be held accountable or suspended.
In a social media post, he referenced his long association with public service and reiterated his commitment to rural development work.
Brijbhushan Rajput
Mr Rajput defended his decision to stop the convoy as a necessary measure to ensure that government schemes were being implemented properly. He maintained that his protest was aimed at securing government accountability for development promises, particularly those associated with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s flagship mission.
The MLA told reporters that pending projects under the Har Ghar Jal and Jal Jeevan Mission needed urgent attention and that residents were suffering due to inaction and delays.
Police and Administrative Reaction
Local police, including officers from the Sadar and Collectorate circles, were present at the scene and attempted to defuse the situation. Their intervention eventually allowed the minister’s convoy to resume movement.
Following the standoff, Mr Singh and Mr Rajput reportedly proceeded to meet with the District Magistrate, where a discussion on pending issues and administrative responses took place.
The district administration later announced that the government had launched a special campaign to repair damaged roads in Mahoba. Officials clarified that extensive restoration work was already underway on almost all affected routes that had been disrupted during pipeline laying, with remaining work expected to be completed shortly.
Political Impact
The confrontation has drawn attention beyond Mahoba, with opposition parties seizing on the incident to critique the ruling BJP. Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav shared footage from the event and alleged that the episode reflected internal discord within the BJP’s state leadership.
Political analysts note that it is unusual for a sitting MLA to publicly obstruct the movement of a senior cabinet minister from the same party, especially in a politically charged state like Uttar Pradesh.
Public Response
Local residents offered mixed reactions. Some villagers welcomed the MLA’s actions, asserting that persistent road damage and intermittent water supply had long been ignored by officials. Others expressed concern that the protest could have escalated into a more serious public order issue had police not intervened promptly.
A video of the incident shared on social media showed supporters, police, and political aides engaged in heated exchanges, prompting widespread commentary on governance challenges at the grassroots level.
Next Steps
Following the incident, the government has announced that all pending road repair work will be expedited, and officials have been directed to ensure uninterrupted water supply to affected villages.
Minister Swatantra Dev Singh has said he will personally inspect the affected areas in the coming days to ensure that work is completed and grievances are addressed, while MLA Brijbhushan Rajput continues to monitor progress on behalf of local residents.